Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Home again

Robert's life as a beach bum
We had a great trip to Ocracoke. I was joking with Wes that I'm never traveling to the beach without Wes' dad again. The weather was perfect even when there was an 80% chance of rain all day-it would rain at night, clear up by mid morning and be 80's and sunny all afternoon-he had spent the weeks before basically begging the weather to be nice and evidently it worked! It was wild. I had packed all cold weather stuff so I was a little on the warm side some days! Robert loved crawling off the blanket onto the grass and picking blades of grass (keeping him from eating it was a job!), eating his first mango (I thought I was giving him a taste, didn't realize he would finish it for me!) and generally getting into everything. He managed to pull the curtain rod and bend it and got the door latch open (standing on my lap)... He's doing great with self feeding, eating cooked carrot peices, banana stalks, the occasional green bean, peices of peach... He also loves mashed potatoes.

As much fun as it was to take him camping it was a lot of work! This probably has been the most challenging camping trip of my life and I have never taken so much stuff with me! Next year should be easier since he will be able to eat more table food/take showers/walk some etc. When he was younger it was easier since he didn't eat solids at all. This time it was just ridiculous! Inflatable duck bathtub, booster seat, baby food, spoons, bibs, toys, pump, bottles, sippy cups, straw cups....

Being able to pump on the road made it possible to get to Ocracoke on Tuesday evening. We made the 11 pm ferry (missed the 10 pm by 15 min!) and were in bed by 12:30 or so

Whoops, baby's up, I'll add more later and pics!

addition: The rest of the week was great, we hung out, walked on the beach, read (although even Roger out-read me, this was a not so great reading vacation!), shopped, went to Hatteras for a day and ate at the Captain's Table (which for Hatteras enthusiasts is where the Tides used to be). It's pretty similar to the Tides but I didn't think the food was quite as good-although the hushpuppies were better. However, it might have been because I was so busy feeding Robert. I ordered him mashed potatoes and they brought them out before our meals and he ate and ate... they were really good! We also spent an hour or so in a bead shop where Peggy made some earings. It was really cool and pretty cheap too! Robert for the most part took everything in stride, didn't nap as well most days but enough to keep from being too cranky. It was wild to watch him pull individual blades of long grass and to touch and explore. I've never seen a 7 month old with such great hand eye co-ordination. On the way home we stopped several places, at the outlet malls in Nags Head (had to look at the baby clothes at Gap!), the pottery in Williamsburg (to add to my Pistoulet collection at the Pfaltzgraff store and our cookie stash at the Pepperidge Farm store), for supper and bathroom breaks, anyways we were on the 9:30 am ferry out of Ocracoke and didn't get home until 10:15 that night! Robert fell asleep at 7 pm and slept all the way home, then played for 1/2 an hour or so and slept through the night! Anyways, for pics pertaining to this blog check out http://www.megley.com/photos/babyfurr/September

No comments: