Wednesday, May 18, 2011

camping!

We had a great time camping at Lake Reidsville this past weekend!  I had a full 7 nights off (even though I only took 2 vacation days!) and it was bliss.  The weather was a little rainy but overall not bad and I was assertive and got to go running thurs/fri/sat-just 2 miles each time but it was great.  It was nice to have some "me" time in the mix.  Overall the kids were good.  Mary only napped one day but that was fine with me, she did nap some in the car here and there though.  I got some reading in here and there, mostly in the evenings after the kids were in bed and before I went to sleep. Wesley generally came back to camp long after I was asleep.  Robert found a friend and they rode bikes and played and then by the end of the weekend he learned to ride!  It was so awesome to see him riding on his own without training wheels or anything!  We picked up a tag reader for Robert while we were there (it is really awesome!) and a leapster for Mary so now they each have a tag reader (Mary has the tag jr) and a leapster (Mary has a leapster 2 but they use the same game cartridges).  We looked to buy him a bike but couldn't find just the right one so we'll have to look again now that we're back.  He's currently riding Mary's 12 or 14 inch bike, lol.

Watching Robert learn to ride was awe inspiring.  It was like watching his first steps, or the first time I heard pee tinkle in the potty.  That's my boy-my not so much of a baby-making another stride towards being a big boy.  He was SO proud of himself-his eyes were just glowing and his dimple was so deep.  And Mary was so  proud of him too.  She pulled her camping chair to the edge and claped and cheered for him.  But she was NOT interested in ridding herself, no ma'am.  "I'm too scared!".  I can't wait to see Robert learn to read, I guess that will be the next milestone around here!

This afternoon was actually sunny and we went out to check the garden.  Everything is up, and I thinned several plants and we picked both types of lettuce and spinach.  Oh and the broccoli!  Wow, fresh broccoli is awesome.  So tender and yummy!

No comments: