Tuesday, September 01, 2009

another night and a stack of tissues

I'm sitting at my desk in the coordinator's office with a pile of snotty tissues all around me and my nose red from being blown (ugh, I hate colds!) listening to spirit fm on the computer and well enjoying the quiet. And drinking hot tea and cold water. The ED is humming and I've placed several admissions and started an IV but am in a lull at the moment.

Today was a pretty good day-the house is still a wreck-it's hard to want to clean the kitchen when there is a huge box with a crib in it in the middle of the floor. But I'm getting ahead of myself. So sat/sun we picked up the rest of the stuff from Granny's that we're taking (we paid for some of it but wow-a steal!) a bed, dresser, dressing table and china cupboard plus other misc stuff. To make room for all this stuff I finally got around to returning Robert's crib that had been recalled. So, got that returned just fine (they gave me back full price!) and bought Mary a new crib (her crib and Robert's were identical except for the finish and have BOTH been recalled). Sigh. I bought this one and I LOVE IT


and no, I didn't pay that much! Walmart had them for $150 (on sale, normally $190!). This crib is solid. Amazingly sturdy. No drop side-just solid wood. Love it! So does Robert "I love Mary's crib". So yes, Wesley and I put it together before I went to work this evening. Complete with 2 whiny kids and a drippy nose. It was a blast. So now we need to take apart her old crib and return it. It will feel SO good to have this done. And to get our money back is just crazy-I've used a crib for 3+ years and you're giving me all the money back? So Rob, instead of hauling a crib to you whenever you get to that point we'll just send you a nice gift card to some store you actually have. Next we need to get the upstairs together before I have to work a weekend or mom and dad come. Cause they're ain't no way anyone could get near a bed right now!

Yesterday evening I started roasting some tomatoes-some fresh, some that I had frozen, skinned and thawed. I let them go most of the night using the time bake feature on the stove and wow-fabulous. Today I pureed them using a stick blender and heated them up and canned 4 quarts. It is so yummy. Thick and rich and wow. It's going to taste fantastic this winter! I was able to can them while the kids ate (after doing devotions with them again-today was Noah and the flood) and played and it went well. They processed while we played outside. I felt pretty good until lunchtime and then felt horrible-chills, achy during naptime and rested most of the afternoon. Now I'm just sniffling! and sneezing, and blowing my nose and sniffling.... when the people that you're starting IV's on start reccomending cold meds to you you know it's getting bad!

Wow, I wrote most of that around midnight and it's now 6 am and I'm just now settling back in. I've earned my keep tonight (and hopefully the box of tissues I've used!). The ED was hopping and then there was a death and a bunch of IV starts....

Mary has turned into quite the daddy's girl-mainly when it comes to her love of pez. She says/signs "please, daddy's peh". Or just signs please and says "that's daddy's". The kids know I don't dispense pez-that's a daddy thing. The other day Wesley refilled ALL (like 6!) pez dispensers so they should have a lot of bonding. Of course Robert is the origional pez addict. He just comes and sit's on Wesley's lap and starts asking for them and then wants to "hold them" ie eat the whole canister. I can't figure out how they stand them but whatever! Give me chocolate any day (and not the chocolate pez-double yuck!). It's also funny to hear Mary mimic Wesley. She'll go around and point to stuff and say "noooooo that's daddy's". Apparently EVERYTHING is a "no that's daddy's". It's hilarious because really everything is really a NO (at least everything Mary wants to be into). I'm trying to think of what is going on with Robert. I've been working some with him on leters/writing/coloring and he is definitely improving. Still no attention span but oh well. And I don't think Mary will ever stop eating crayons. It makes it really hard to work with both of them! Well, almost time for the next nursing coordinator to come in. I'm all set :) Can't wait to get home and to bed. It should be nice and cool and quiet today.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

feel better! take care of yourself!